What is Gestational Surrogacy and how is it done?
The Gestational Surrogacy is an agreement, under which a woman carries and delivers the child of another couple (Intended Parents). The woman who carries the pregnancy is known as the gestational carrier (GC) or gestational surrogate.
In the procedure, the egg does not come from the carrier. Both eggs and sperms are generally extracted from the Intended Parents. The eggs are then fertilized through IVF and the embryo development is monitored for 3-5 days. A limited number of resulting embryos are then implanted into the carrier’s uterus.
- There are two types of surrogacy-‘Gestational’ and ‘Traditional’. In Gestational surrogacy, the surrogate is implanted with the ‘intended mother’s’ egg while in ‘Traditional Surrogacy’ the surrogate’s eggs are used.
- A couple may opt for surrogacy if the female partner has had her uterus removed medical conditions that restrain her from carrying pregnancy or if she has a history of recurrent miscarriages
- Gay couple who want to have a child can also opt for surrogacy
- A healthy woman in the age group of 21 to 45 years who has not had more than 5 vaginal deliveries and more than 2 caesarean deliveries may become a surrogate
- A GC is compensated for her service. The amount is pre-decided under a lawful agreement between the GC and the Intended Parents.
The surrogacy arrangements at Sridevi Fertility
At Sridevi Fertility, we have the GC undergo thorough medical examination to ensure that her body is fit to bear a healthy child. There must be absolutely no reason for her to avoid pregnancy. The Intended parents are also tested for sexually transmitted diseases, genetic disorders like cystic fibrosis that might get transferred to the GC through the embryo in her womb.
Our psychology experts also counsel the GC and her partner about probable psychological risks involved in the process. The guidance them on maintaining an easy and healthy relationship among them, with their family, children and also with the Intended Parents.
We also organize counselling sessions for the Intended Parents to investigate about any history of addictions, abuse or mental illness that went unresolved or untreated. These sessions also help us know their expectations from the GC and what type of relationship they would like to have with her, do they intend to be in touch with the GC even after the delivery, and do they want to disclose the fact about using a carrier to the child in future. The entire counselling sessions are done under complete discretion.
All necessary tests for the Intended Parents are done within 30 days of egg retrieval and within 7 days of sperm collection. However, though these tests do not eliminate the risk of transmitting the diseases to the carrier but can help to minimize the chances to great extent or take every required precaution beforehand.
The legal side of surrogacy
- The arrangement for the surrogacy must be made before the surrogate carries the child.
- The agreement must be document by recognised legal authorities.
- Commercial surrogacy is illegal. The surrogate can receive money only if it is for her benefit in respect of carrying the child under the surrogacy arrangement.
- Surrogacy arrangement is not enforceable
- The ‘Intended Parents’ must apply for a Parental Order if they want to be acknowledged as the legal parents of the child
- One of the two ‘Intended Parents’ may have a blood relation with the child.
- The ‘Intended Parents’ may be married, civilly partnered or in an ‘enduring family ties’
- Till the ‘Intended Parents’ get the Parental Order, the surrogate and her husband/partner legally holds the custody of the child.
- The surrogate and her husband/partner should give their consent to the Parental Order in favour of the ‘Intended Parents’
Contact us at +91 40 27668427 / +91-7032341439 (M) for more information on Surrogacy in Hyderabad.
Book an appointment with us today. Click the button below!