Factors that can adversely affect fertility include consumption of alcohol, caffeine, psychological stress and environmental pollutants. The impact of lifestyle factors on reproductive health, especially those undergoing treatment for infertility cannot be ruled out. Simple lifestyle changes can bring a big difference in fertility according to the findings that have been substantiated by results. There are strong evidences which prove that age and weight can be important factors that can have direct influence on reproductive health, besides smoking, exercise and diet, which can also have a great impact on infertility . Now the question is what are the simple changes in lifestyle that can help you be in the best of health when it comes to reproductive health. Here are some lifestyle changes that can be easily followed.
1. Lose weight – High BMI can adversely affect the reproductive system and also the outcomes of ART treatment. Do some light to medium exercises such as walking, swimming and stationary cycling can help you to lose weight without having any side effects that can harm the reproductive cycle.
2. Quit smoking – Quit smoking by managing cigarette cravings. Set yourself a target to quit smoking and reward yourself for successfully doing so. Distract yourself from the temptation by diverting attention to other activities that can help you to stay in the best of spirits such as engaging yourself in sporting activities, watching TV or taking a shower. There are medications and therapies for quitting smoking that includes nicotine replacement therapy and non-nicotine medication.
3. Eat mindfully and take lots of water – Plan your diet so that you do not put on weight and take lots of water to keep yourself hydrated. Take plenty of healthy fats, vegetables and fruits. Abstain from aerated water, fried foods and foods that contain sugar.
4. Reduction of alcohol consumption – Keep yourself to an occasional beer or wine and abstain from hard drinks. Alcohol consumption can adversely affect the reproductive system in males. These include erectile dysfunction, lowering the levels in testosterone and reduction in sperm counts . For women, consumption of alcohol can adversely affect the reproductive health by affecting the menstrual cycle.
5. Manage your stress – The best way to manage your stress is through meditation and listening to soft music. You can consider consulting a counselor, if you need help on how to manage your stress. You can also engage yourself in outdoor activities to relieve the stress.
Although these lifestyle changes can be challenging, you have the option to take the help of fertility specialists to overcome the challenges easily. Determination can be the prime factor that can help you overcome the challenges in changing your lifestyle that can bring a great difference in achieving fertility.